Skip to main content

Book Review: Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider

Title: Extraordinary Means
Author: Robyn Schneider
Publication Date: 2015
Source: Purchased Mysel
f

Rating: 4.5/5 










Summary of Extraordinary Means from Goodreads:


A bitter-sweet, coming-of-age novel that's perfect for fans of John Green and Stephen Chbosky.
When he's sent to Latham House, a boarding school for sick teens, Lane thinks his life may as well be over.
But when he meets Sadie and her friends - a group of eccentric troublemakers - he realises that maybe getting sick is just the beginning. That illness doesn't have to define you, and that falling in love is its own cure.
Extraordinary Means is a darkly funny story about true friendships, ill-fated love and the rare miracle of second chances

Book Review Summary: 

After reading The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider in 2013, I fell in love with Robyn Schneider’s writing and her characters therefore having high hopes for any future releases. Extraordinary Means doesn’t disappoint tying together great and likable characters with a captivating plot that is hard to put down.

Plot:

I had limited problems with the plot and liked the way the story progressed until the last 50 pages when I was on the verge of tears. Schneider did a wonderful job with of tying a version of incurable TB (which doesn’t exist) with a coming-of-age story about self-discovery from Lane’s perspective who realises that school is not the most important thing in life. I also enjoyed the activities which Lane experiences in Latham with Sadie and her group of friends as it was well executed. Another strong point was how Lane’s and Sadie’s story with their friends and family evolves over the course of the book, showing in real terms how a disease which is contagious can affect the relationships in relation to other non-contagious diseases. Finally, Schneider does a good job at incorporating social media into the novel as many contemporary novels don’t although very active in many teenagers’ lives today.

Overall: The plot of Extraordinary Means is well executed and developed but get the tissues at the ready for a sad and unexpected ending.    

Characters:


I enjoyed all the characters including the side characters as they were all well developed and enjoyable all having they own individuals traits but can be referred to as your average/ typical YA misfit characters having “weird” cosplay obsessions or sticking out of the crowd when in Latham or inside school. By the end of the book I enjoyed the characters but at the beginning I didn’t like the way that Sadie interacted with Lane and found that her character was quite juvenile although she was sixteen. However at the end of the book, I enjoyed the relationship between her at Lane and her personally and empathies with her. I also like Lane and had no problems with him and I enjoyed his character development over the course of the novel.

Overall: The characters in this novel are enjoyable but some the side characters do full into the trap of your typical YA misfit.

Writing:

Robyn Schneider has very witty writing that reflects today’s society by including up to date references and embracing social media which I find rare in some of the more up to date YA contemporary releases. The characters have their own voices and are very different to each other which was very enjoyable to read about. I also enjoyed the references to Harry Potter and other films like Spirited Away as you can see her own personality through her writing by incorporating it in with the characters.

Overall: The writing of this book is well done and incorporates references that will engage the reader.

The Verdict: Robyn Schneider is an author that stands out from the crowd with her witty writing and fun characters and an enjoyable plot. Extraordinary Means is a very entertaining book but will leave you heartbroken at the end, get the tissues at the ready.

Have you read Extraordinary Means? Did you like it? Leave your comments below.

Hope you enjoyed this review.

See you soon,



Amy

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Return of the Young Prince by A.G. Roemmers

* I have received this book for review from the publisher but this in no way affects my review *
Title: The Return of the Young Prince Author: A.G. Roemmers Source: From publisher Publisher: One World Publishing Rating: 2/5 stars






Summary of The Return of the Young Prince from Goodreads:
With specially commissioned illustrations by Pietari Posti and a foreword by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s nephew,THE RETURN OF THE YOUNG PRINCE will be cherished by children and adults alike across the globe. 
Even princes from faraway planets do not always remain small. Eventually they grow up and – no longer content with their tiny planet – set off once again to explore the universe anew. So the Little Prince, now a teenager, one day returns to Earth and finds himself on a lonely country road in the vast, desolate plains of Patagonia. There he meets the narrator of this novel, who rescues him and takes him on a journey. Slowly the Prince shares the stories of his adventures, and together they begin to explore …

1 Year Blogging Anniversary and Giveaway (CLOSED)

So if you could not see by the title of the blog post, it has been a year since I posted my first blog post. I can happily say that this blog has changed a lot in this one year, I mean the layout has not been dramatically altered but the content has. This blog has increased my passion for reading and has been a way that I can spread this with everyone in this community. This has led me to read some incredible books and interact with some great people and I can happily say that I feel part of the community. 

Due to this being the first year of the blog existing, I hope for this to be the first of many so to track the changes in my blogging life especially in terms of my reading life. So let's get started...

Q1) Favourite book?

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak- No book that I have read in the last two years seems to surpass how much I love this book but I am not saying that the books that I have read after this one are bad I just like this one a bit more...










Q2) What book do you hope to re…

2nd Year Blogging Anniversary and GIVEAWAY (OPEN)

So if you see by the title of the blog post, it has been over two years, on the 15th June 2015, since my first blog post. I said in my last blog post that a lot has changed in a year but I feel like the thing that has changed most is the layout because let's face it I haven't really been consistent this year. (I blame university.) Although my posts are inconsistent I still love blogging and come up with so many ideas that I want to write about and would love to become more consistent over the next year but we will see how that goes. Blogging comes with a great community of people and Twitter chats have made me find so many books that I love and interact with great people so I am happy to be part of this community. 

So last year I completed a mini-survey which spoke about books that I like and want to read to see if I might have changed in a year so I thought that this was something I will do again...

Q1) Favourite Book

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak- OK so this one hasn't cha…