Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters

It's Tuesday which means that it is time for a Top Ten Tuesday post. I didn't plan to do this feature on my blog but I have seen some book bloggers do it and I like the idea of this week's feature which is books that celebrate diversity e.g. minority/religious minority groups, socioeconomic diversity, disabled MC, neurotypical characters, LGBTQ etc. The Top Ten Tuesday feature was created by The Broke and the Bookish and more about can be found here. Let's get started...






1. The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare 

Often with diverse books you find that a lot of them are found in the contemporary section of YA reads but this is one of the only exceptions that I can think of. It does well to include LGBTQ+ characters and has characters of minority groups








2. Dead Ends by Erin Lange

Dead EndsDead Ends follows Dane who is a bully who meets a boy with Down's Symdrome called Billy D and they try ad solve puzzles to do with each other lives but reach many a "dead end". This is definitely a coming of age story that many more people need to read especially considering it has under 1000 rating on goodreads. 






3. Every Day by David Levithan 

Every Day (Every Day, #1)This is a fantastic book about someone who every day lives in a different body. It follows as A wakes up in people of different races and different sexual orientation and it is a very interesting read. It is also good to note that David Levithan himself writes a lot of LGBTQ+ characters. 







4. Solitaire by Alice Oseman 

Solitaire
This book follows Tori Spring who follows the solitaire blog that is found around her school and tries to uncover the truth behind it. The story itself includes an LGBTQ+ couple in the form of Nick and Charlie and deals with mental health issues. 








5. I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson 

I'll Give You the SunThis book follows twins Jude and Noah in alternative chapters in which Noah's chapters before the event and Jude's after. While trying to deal with the issues in this book, it also deals with Noah's sexuality and overall is a great read. 

6. The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Perks of Being a WallflowerMost people know what this book is about considering it is a popular and was made into a film a couple of years ago. However if you don't it follows Charlie who writes letters to anonymous person in which he talks about his problems and friends including Patrick being one of the LGBTQ+ characters and Sam and can be quoted as one of my favourite books.  

7. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park tells the tale of two misfits set in the 80s who bond mainly due to the school bus that they take together. Park himself is obsessed with listening to music and comics and in of Asian descent and Eleanor is from a poor background which I find is uncommon in books that I tend to read. Apart from this it is a generally wonderful read and again one of my favourites. 

8. The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)This is a post apocalyptic vampire novel which has a main character from Asian decent... don't think I need to say any more. 


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-TimeThis book follows the story of Christopher, a fifteen boy with autism who tries to find the murderer of his next door neighbour's dog. This handles the issues well and is a book that deserves to be read by many. 

10. Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne

Am I Normal Yet?This book focuses on mental health especially that of OCD and the idea of relapse with the mental illness. It is done beautifully so far and although I am only 160 pages in, I know that it is going to be one of my favourites of the year. I got an early copy from YALC so it is not out until the beginning of August. 

If you want to find out more about diverse books, an author James Dawson created a diverse book list which you can check out here

What are some of your favourite diverse books? Leave them in the comments below. 

See you soon 

Amy 
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Return of the Young Prince by A.G. Roemmers

* I have received this book for review from the publisher but this in no way affects my review *
Title: The Return of the Young Prince Author: A.G. Roemmers Source: From publisher Publisher: One World Publishing Rating: 2/5 stars






Summary of The Return of the Young Prince from Goodreads:
With specially commissioned illustrations by Pietari Posti and a foreword by Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry’s nephew,THE RETURN OF THE YOUNG PRINCE will be cherished by children and adults alike across the globe. 
Even princes from faraway planets do not always remain small. Eventually they grow up and – no longer content with their tiny planet – set off once again to explore the universe anew. So the Little Prince, now a teenager, one day returns to Earth and finds himself on a lonely country road in the vast, desolate plains of Patagonia. There he meets the narrator of this novel, who rescues him and takes him on a journey. Slowly the Prince shares the stories of his adventures, and together they begin to explore …

2nd Year Blogging Anniversary and GIVEAWAY (CLOSED)

So if you see by the title of the blog post, it has been over two years, on the 15th June 2015, since my first blog post. I said in my last blog post that a lot has changed in a year but I feel like the thing that has changed most is the layout because let's face it I haven't really been consistent this year. (I blame university.) Although my posts are inconsistent I still love blogging and come up with so many ideas that I want to write about and would love to become more consistent over the next year but we will see how that goes. Blogging comes with a great community of people and Twitter chats have made me find so many books that I love and interact with great people so I am happy to be part of this community. 

So last year I completed a mini-survey which spoke about books that I like and want to read to see if I might have changed in a year so I thought that this was something I will do again...

Q1) Favourite Book

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak- OK so this one hasn't cha…

Female Representation in Harry Potter: A Transcription

So later today, in 2 hours I am going to be doing a presentation on Female Representation in Harry Potter for my university's Harry Potter Society and I thought some of you may be interested in what I had to say. I also respect that people may disagree with my views on the subject and understand that this is not the only opinion you can have. So here it is...

Hello, everyone. Thank you for coming! Today I am going to discuss female representation in Harry Potter books and films. The aims of this presentation would be to introduce you to the fact that female representation in Harry Potter may not be what it seems. So you may think that female characters are actually quite well done in the series but at some points, this is not the case. To look at this further I will be looking at characters individually as well as some aspects of the series in general. I guess that until I first researched the topic, I thought that of course, Harry Potter was going to have good female representation…