Skip to main content

October Wrap Up

So it's the end of yet another month and this means that I get to discuss the books I read in October. October was meant to be the month that I read all the creepy books that I bought to University with me but I only managed to read one horror book this month, even then, this was from five books. I didn't read that many books considering the amount of work I have had for University but anyway... Let's get started...

Number 1: Just One Day by Gayle Forman 

Just One Day (Just One Day, #1)After loving Gayle Forman's other series the "If I Stay" Duology, I was really excited to read this book. It had been getting amazing reviews by people who didn't enjoy the If I Stay novels and I did really enjoy it. Although I found it slow, especially at the beginning and it taking me such a long time to read, it was a really nice book to read. The characters were really enjoyable and were well-written and the book had amazing writing and had a plot which was really good for someone who was starting university. It was  coming of age and finding yourself which was something that I definitely related to at the time of reading. 


Number 2: The Masked Truth by Kelley Armstrong 

The Masked TruthKelley Armstrong is one of those authors that you hear everyone talk about but I have never read any of her books until now. The Masked Truth was a well written thriller which deals with the topic of mental health  and has diverse characters that are loveable and go further than the typical YA stereotype. It was very fast-paced and keep me on my toes until the last page, it was a really good read. I have done a review of this book which you can read here





Number 3: One by Sarah Crossan 

OneI have wanted to read One by Sarah Crossan ever since it was released and even prior to it's release, when all the blogs were excited about this book. It was the fact this book was about conjoined twins and that it was written in verse which made it very gripping as I had never read any things in verse or about conjoined twins before, this was very interesting for me. I did really enjoy this book, the characters in the book were really enjoyable and the it was a really speedy read and was really well written. I do feel like I would have enjoyed this book more if I didn't hype it up for myself, but I still enjoyed it and would love to read more Sarah Crossan in the future.  


Number 4: Daughter Unto Devils by Amy Lukavics  

Daughters unto DevilsThis was the only horror or creepy read that I read in October and was one of the first horror books that I have actually read. This one was an OK read as I didn't find it very creepy and was quite slow until the last 50 pages and I felt like more could have happened in the beginning as there was a lot of world building. I did enjoy the writing, but I had major plot problems which let this book down for me. 






Number 5: Maresi by Maria Turtschaninoff

Maresi (The Red Abbey Chronicles #1)Maresi is not available until January 2016 but it has already been hyped up by so many bloggers and authors after it was translated from Finnish and I was lucky to get a copy from the people at RiotComms. This was a very enjoyable book and had great characters that were easy to connect with and had a plot that was great at world building that had a great finale. I really enjoyed this book and a review will be up soon. Watch this space...





What did you read in October? Leave them in the comments below.

See you soon, 

Amy
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Return of the Young Prince by A.G. Roemmers

* I have received this book for review from the publisher but this in no way affects my review *
Title: The Return of the Young Prince Author: A.G. Roemmers Source: From publisher Publisher: One World Publishing Rating: 2/5 stars






Summary of The Return of the Young Prince from Goodreads:
With specially commissioned illustrations by Pietari Posti and a foreword by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s nephew,THE RETURN OF THE YOUNG PRINCE will be cherished by children and adults alike across the globe. 
Even princes from faraway planets do not always remain small. Eventually they grow up and – no longer content with their tiny planet – set off once again to explore the universe anew. So the Little Prince, now a teenager, one day returns to Earth and finds himself on a lonely country road in the vast, desolate plains of Patagonia. There he meets the narrator of this novel, who rescues him and takes him on a journey. Slowly the Prince shares the stories of his adventures, and together they begin to explore …

2nd Year Blogging Anniversary and GIVEAWAY (CLOSED)

So if you see by the title of the blog post, it has been over two years, on the 15th June 2015, since my first blog post. I said in my last blog post that a lot has changed in a year but I feel like the thing that has changed most is the layout because let's face it I haven't really been consistent this year. (I blame university.) Although my posts are inconsistent I still love blogging and come up with so many ideas that I want to write about and would love to become more consistent over the next year but we will see how that goes. Blogging comes with a great community of people and Twitter chats have made me find so many books that I love and interact with great people so I am happy to be part of this community. 

So last year I completed a mini-survey which spoke about books that I like and want to read to see if I might have changed in a year so I thought that this was something I will do again...

Q1) Favourite Book

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak- OK so this one hasn't cha…

Female Representation in Harry Potter: A Transcription

So later today, in 2 hours I am going to be doing a presentation on Female Representation in Harry Potter for my university's Harry Potter Society and I thought some of you may be interested in what I had to say. I also respect that people may disagree with my views on the subject and understand that this is not the only opinion you can have. So here it is...

Hello, everyone. Thank you for coming! Today I am going to discuss female representation in Harry Potter books and films. The aims of this presentation would be to introduce you to the fact that female representation in Harry Potter may not be what it seems. So you may think that female characters are actually quite well done in the series but at some points, this is not the case. To look at this further I will be looking at characters individually as well as some aspects of the series in general. I guess that until I first researched the topic, I thought that of course, Harry Potter was going to have good female representation…